To trap in Ontario, you must:
- have completed the required Fur Harvest, Fur Management and Conservation course
- have a trapping licence
- trap only during open seasons
- keep to annual harvest quotas
- trap only on land identified in the licence
- have written permission from the landowner when trapping on private lands
- follow other conditions set out in your licence and the regulations (e.g. trap sizes for fox)
- only use humane, certified traps
If you have a licence to trap in one district, you can not use the same licence to trap in another district. You will need to get a second licence to trap in the second district.
All legal requirements for trapping in Ontario are set out in the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997 and regulations under the act.